Friday, October 23, 2009

iPhone Development and OpenGL ES

Currently learning how to program in the iMac with Objective C it has been quite a challenging year since I started programming back around May or April of 2009. I also purchase the one year subscription to the iPhone Developer program to develop applications for my iPod Touch. The overall plan, of why I am doing all of this is because I had a desire to develop video games for the iPod Touch and iPhone and make some profits by publishing them in the App Store. As I said before it has been a challenging year because this is the first iMac I ever had in my life. However I have use before a Mac back in the early days of my young, that is when I was 12 years old.

In our days, I have decided to become a Mac fan because of the Apple iPhone technology. I really like the overall style and feel of this mobile device, not to mention the video game applications that I have been able to download and install, even when they are only demo version of the video games. One of my favorite games on the iPod touch and iPhone for that matter is Fieldsrunners link: http://www.fieldrunners.com/. Among many of the free versions I have downloaded, many of them being simply video games such as Guitar Hero 2, Pac-Man, Resident Evil 4, Assassin's Creek, Dante The Inferno (I recently created), Wolf-3D Lite, Metal Gear Solid, KnightsLite, etc...

But the most impressive application for now that I have seen right now is Doom Resurrection for the iPhone and iPod Touch. I know is Id Software which has many years of experience in creating very great video games, but we have to give them credit for this version. In part it is a rail shooter where you just follow alone without the control of the character instead you have to guide or aim of your weapon by using the accelerometer of the iPhone and iPod touch. It works fine and does the trick, however we are expecting much more impressive applications from Id Software in future releases.

Going back to the topic at hand in developing for the iPhone and iPod touch back when I started developing for the iPod touch I got a hold of an iPhone programming book call "Beginning iPhone Development" Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-iPhone-Development-Exploring-SDK/dp/1430224592/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256353489&sr=1-1. With several techniques that were taught here I created my first application of the digital copy of "Dante The Inferno". Later on while I was trying to figure out how to use OpenGL ES to create a clone copy of the game call "Tetris" which is currently copyright by EA link: http://www.eamobile.com/Web/iphone-games/tetris.

While in the search for a book on OpenGL ES, I had found several general books or online manuals for the OpenGL ES, some reference manuals where I did not understand how to use the information they provided me with and how to go about in using OpenGL ES. Maybe I have problems understanding the general concepts of 2D and 3D graphics in how OpenGL ES works or should I say how OpenGL works in general. I have visited web sites such as the Nehe tutorials web site on OpenGL link: http://nehe.gamedev.net/. And I have done several of the tutorials of Nehe however not all of the materials found in this web site could be easily translated to Objective with OpenGL ES by a Junior Programmer like myself.

Then I found it, OpenGL ES tutorials in the web by no other then one of the authors of "Beginning iPhone Development" his name is JEFF LAMARCHE link: http://iphonedevelopment.blogspot.com/. In his blog I have found some few tutorials on programming OpenGL ES for the iPhone and iPod Touch and I must say they are very informative and simple to follow. It makes sense now or for the moment how to take some of the concepts of 3D programming and try to figure out how to use the OpenGL ES system on how to pass these parameters and functions I have learn from college. This does not mean I know it all already, however, currently I am learning from those that have better understanding on the concepts of 3D programming and know how to apply them to your applications. From this point forward if I need any help in programming for OpenGL ES I will try to first figure out how to program it and research first like I have done in figuring out through reading books and experimenting with programming but sometimes I need some extra help by going to forums and looking for tutorials.

I am happy to see what else will Jeff cook out in his OpenGL ES tutorials and see how can I apply those tutorials in my iPhone applications.

Julio A. Cruz

No comments:

Post a Comment